Windows are essential to any building, and regular maintenance can help ensure they last as long as possible. Proper maintenance can help enhance the beauty, functionality, and durability of windows, which can provide a good return on investment.
This article provides simple tips to maintain windows keeping them functioning correctly and looking as new as the day they were installed.
Bay & Bow Windows
Bay and bow windows are a great source of natural light and airflow but require proper care to keep them in top condition. Here are some maintenance tips for you to know where Ecoline windows work best and how to take proper care of them:
- Clean the screen once a year using a vacuum cleaner to get rid of debris.
- Use a soft microfiber cloth and soapy water to clean the frames, rollers, locks, and hinges.
- Inspect the windows once a year for structural damages, such as cracked glass, warping, or cracks near the caulking or window frame.
Casement & Awning Windows
Casement and awning windows require proper care and maintenance to keep them in working condition. Here are some tips for cleaning and maintaining these types of windows:
- Clean the windows regularly using a DIY cleaning solution made with water and detergent or a commercial cleaning liquid.
- Avoid cleaning the windows when the temperature is too high to prevent streaks on the glass.
- Lubricate the arms, crank unit, and locks with a silicon-based lubricant to maintain their functionality.
- Inspect the windows once a month for signs of wear or moisture, brittle areas, peeling paint, weatherstripping, and gaps.
Hung & Sliding Windows
Cleaning hung and sliding windows is relatively easy if you know how to handle them. Most reviews of Ecoline windows suggest the following tips for cleaning and maintaining modern sash windows:
- Remove dust and debris from sills and tracks regularly to prevent problems while opening and closing the windows.
- Use a mild soap and water solution to clean the frames, sash, and grilles.
- Apply the solution to the glass and scrape off any loose debris or dust using a soft, dry cloth.
- Lubricate the roller tracks on double-hung windows once a year to prevent dust and pollen buildup.
Cleaning large picture windows can be challenging, but the following tips can make the process easier:
- Use a strip applicator with a long cloth head and a solution made with water and dishwashing liquid to clean the windows.
- Avoid using a high-pressure spray nozzle to prevent damage to the glass.
- Check the regions along the frame for exposed seams, fissures, holes, or seams that require caulking.
When to Hire a Professional Window Replacement Company
While most homeowners use DIY techniques to maintain their windows, there are instances where professional maintenance is necessary. Here are some scenarios where you should consider hiring a professional window maintenance company:
- Damaged caulking around the windows
- Damaged frame or glass
- Gas leakage in double or triple-paned windows
- Unexplained increase in energy bills
Usually, these issues are covered by your window warranty when you buy and install windows from a reliable local manufacturer.
Having a warranty for your windows is a great way to ensure that you are protected against any defects or damages that may occur during the normal course of usage. However, it is crucial to remember that window warranties often come with specific terms and conditions that must be met to make a claim. Here are some tips to ensure that your window warranty covers any issues that may arise:
- Read and Understand the Warranty Terms: Before you make a claim, it is important to read and understand the terms of your window warranty thoroughly. This will help you to determine whether the warranty covers the issue you are experiencing.
- Maintain Regular Cleaning and Maintenance: Regularly cleaning and maintaining your windows is important not only for the longevity of the windows but also to ensure that your warranty remains valid. Neglecting regular maintenance can void your warranty.
- Keep Records of Maintenance: Keeping records of your window maintenance activities is important to ensure that your warranty remains valid. Make sure to keep records of cleaning activities, inspection dates, and any repairs that have been made.
- Contact the Manufacturer: If you are experiencing any issues with your windows, it is important to contact the manufacturer as soon as possible. They will be able to advise you on how to proceed with the warranty claim.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your window warranty remains valid and covers any issues that may arise.
Proper window maintenance and cleaning should be a priority for any homeowner, regardless of how busy they are. Different window styles require different cleaning techniques, and it may not always be easy to do it all by yourself. Don’t hesitate to call for professional window maintenance to ensure your windows provide you with the highest energy efficiency, stunning look, and maximum comfort.
Keeping all the discussed in mind will help ensure your windows last as long as possible, providing a good return on your investment.
This post is a collaborative effort and may contain relative, resourceful affiliate links. All opinions are our own and for informational purposes only.