Most house owners prefer tile flooring and get it installed in their houses. As time passes by the tiles, start to get old and dull as they lose their shine because of being always in use. The things that we spilled on them also at times leave stains on our tiles and grouts. Tile and grout cleaning requires different kinds of cleaning processes for them to look as good as new. As grout is a porous material, the dust particles get stuck to it, and the liquid materials spilled on them get absorbed.
Tiles, on the other hand, are more smooth and don’t absorb the liquids as much as grouts and are easier to clean, but the substances dropped can decolor the tiles. The chemicals that are used on these surfaces degrade their original quality and makes them lose their shine. By using the below-mentioned steps for removing tile and grout stains, your floor or backsplash will be clean and not be harmed either.
Tiles are often smooth surfaces and are easy to clean. The daily cleaning and mopping might seem to make them clean. However, over time layers of dust settle in it and make it lose its shine and color. In such cases, the following methods will be useful.
- If something gets spilled over the tiles, make sure it clean it as soon as you can. Leaving it there for long periods will make the tile absorb it, and this can lead to color stains.
- By applying cloths that are soaked in a solution of hydrogen peroxide over the stained area can remove the stain. This works in stains caused by coffee, tea, juice, wine and similar substances.
- Leaving a diluted bleach mixture over the stain with the help of a towel or paper can also help in removing the stains.
- Paper towels, when saturated with a mixture of white vinegar and water left on the affected area for around 15-30 minutes. This will also help in cleaning it.
Grouts are tougher to clean in comparison to tiles as they are rough and have pores in them. This porous surface absorbs spilled contents and makes it harder for it to be cleaned. The below-listed methods can be effective in cleaning grout stains.
- Grout stains can be removed by spraying a homemade solution of water and vinegar in a ratio of 1:1. Spraying this solution and leaving it there for fifteen minutes and then brushing it with a soft toothbrush. After, rinse it with warm water. This will clean the dust and stains off of the grout.
- If the stain on the grout is too stubborn, then apply a solution of baking soda and warm water in a ratio of 2:1. After this, let it sit overnight and then rub it off with a nylon brush. Then rinse with warm water.
- Another way of removing grout stains is by rubbing it off with a folded corner of sandpaper.
- Using commercially produced grout cleaners will also help in getting the dust and stains cleaned. But you need to be careful while working with these substances. You need to make sure that these substances don’t harm your flooring.
Flooring is always in use. It is obvious for them to get dirty and be stained by the stuff that is accidentally spilled on them. But keeping them clean and as good as new is our responsibility. Being careful and providing them with proper care will help them in lasting longer and looking new and fresh. By giving it regular cleaning and care, your tiles will always shine bright.
This post is a collaboration and may contain relevant, relatable affiliate links. All opinions are our own and for informational purposes only.