A house is made a home by adding a personality to it. One of the major things that reflect someone’s personality is through their choices. As such, household things and their style give a rough idea of the resident’s personality. We take a lot of time to choose, then decorate our house with items that suit us. So it is important to clean our house clean and tidy. One of the items that are commonly used and are openly visible is furniture. We spend a lot of time on couch and because of which, it tends to become dirty easier. Similarly, mattresses, car seat covers, etc. also tend to get dirty over a time due to everyday use. Cleaning them can be a bit of hassle. To help you guide through the process is this article on how to clean furniture stains.
There are several precautionary steps needed to take before starting the process of upholstery furniture cleaning.
- Make sure to go through manufacturer’s notes on the methods of cleaning.
- Identify the type of stain on the furniture.
- Different types of furniture stains require different methods to get rid of them.
- Proceed following only the instructions on cleaning methods on the documents or tags.
Different Types Of Stains
Different types of furniture stains are treated differently. The method for cleaning food stains differs from greasy stains. These differ from wine stains and also ink stains. Some methods for cleaning different types of stains are given below.
- The first step is to vacuum the area after the stain is dry. This helps remove the dust and other impurities that can be a cause of different type of stain.
- Regardless of whether the stain is dry or not, steam the area of stain before cleaning. It loosens and readies the fabric for cleaning process.
- Now, after steaming is done, the process for cleaning different stains differs for different types of stains.
Most of the food stains can be cleaned by conventional methods using soap and water. We also have to ensure that the cloth or sponge we are using is clean. This way, it does not react to the cleaner making a mess on the stain.
For greasy stains, it is common to use baking soda to absorb most of the oil because water does not mix with oil. Sprinkling baking soda over the grease. Setting it aside for 15 to 20 min will set the stain off the fabric. Then use a soft cloth or a brush to remove the baking soda.
In case of beer or coffee stains, rubbing an ice cube over the stain will prepare it for cleaning. Then, using a small quantity of cleaner along with warm water will take care of the stain.
Ink stains are pesky, and they blot around the point where the ink first fell. To clean ink stains, a cloth dipped in alcohol should be used to wipe the stain. Cleaning the fabric with a cleaner will remove the stain.
- Now that individual types of stains are dealt with, all we are left with are rinse and repeat methods. If your stains do not fall under any of the above categories, then repeat the first cleaning method repeatedly. Do this until the stain disappears. This is a good way to go about cleaning upholstery furniture. Generally, a stubborn stain can take up to two to three repeats of the cleaning process to completely get rid of.
Regardless, taking swift action as soon as a stain is formed is the best time to clean it. Cleaning during this time is easy and generally takes less cleaning agent without leaving any smell. Take care of your furniture and follow the corresponding method to clean furniture stains for fast, easy and reliable results.
This post is a collaborative effort and may contain relevant, relatable affiliate links. All opinions are our own and for informational purposes.